About Sonneman Lighting
Sonneman - A Way of Light, founded by Robert Sonneman and partners David Littman and Sonny Park, provides innovative lighting solutions for the way we live. Sonneman's designs range from Warm Contemporary Pendants to Ornamental Modernism Floor and Table Lamps. Sonneman also offers Bathroom Lights, Wall Sconces and Swing-Arm Lights, and Ceiling Flush Mounts.
Robert Sonneman pioneered modern lighting making it an art form. World renowned and acclaimed for clean lines and alliance to form and function, his world famous award winning designs have been at the forefront of the design world for over four decades. Robert introduced sleek, new functionalist lighting designs in the 60s and 70s that have become classics of the modern era.
Sonneman's sensibilities and prolific design vocabulary extend through the modern architectural and decorative genres of the 20th century and forward to the contemporary diversity of the 21st. "I continue to investigate the evolutionary and the revolutionary as the basis for developing a cosmopolitan American style" said Robert Sonneman.
In Sonneman's current lighting collection are over a thousand designs ranging from Warm Contemporary to Ornamental Modernism and Modernist styles. Currently featured in over two thousand lighting showrooms worldwide, his product line continues to evolve with exciting new introductions. Sonneman - A Way of Light, founded in 2003, is a tribute to contemporary lighting design. Working in New York, Milan and Tokyo resulted in selling designs worldwide under the Sonneman name since 1967.
In 1974, Robert founded Sonneman Design Group building an extensive client base spanning many diverse industries in the home.
Robert Sonneman’s designs have been exhibited internationally as well as in the United States in major museums, exhibitions on design, galleries and shows over the last forty years. In addition, Robert participates and lectures at universities, and other venues of architecture and design.
Along with his partners, David Littman, a highly accomplished owner of several lighting companies and Sonny Park, President of Sonneman Lighting, Robert founded Sonneman - A Way of Light. Robert lives and works in New York and continues to innovate lighting solutions for the way we live.
- Robert started his career working for George Kovacs the famous lighting retailer.
- Robert launched his own lighting company under the Sonneman brand in 1967. His products were featured in retailers such as Bloomingdale’s, Macys and many others.
- In 1974 Robert founded Sonneman Design Group developing products for leading brands for the home including, Lightolier, Sunbeam Appliance, Singer, Stanley Furniture, Brueton, Goody Products, Lifetime Brands and others.
- Since 1967 Robert's work has been displayed by the Museum of Modern Art, Chicago Art Institute, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, UCLA Exhibition on Design, Karnette County Art Museum and the Houston Contemporary Arts Museum.
- Robert has participated and lectured at Stamford University, Pratt School of Architecture, Parsons School of Design, Philadelphia College of Art and UCLA. He was also a contributor on Chrysler and Toyota projects at the Art Center, Pasadena College of Design, and served on the Nissan Design Advisory Board.
- In 1990, Sonneman again broke new ground for Stanley Furniture with his "Urban Primitive" collection for Macy’s, a comprehensive program of home furnishings.
- From 1999 to 2005 Robert served as president and CEO of Ralph Lauren Home Product Development.
- In 2003 with partners David Littman and Sonny Park, Robert founded Sonneman - A Way of Light.
All Sonneman products (including Freight) ship for FREE within the contiguous United States on orders over $50.
All Sonneman products that ship via UPS or FedEx Ground within the contiguous United States are FREE to return.
We do not charge a restocking fee for any returnable Sonneman products.
We do not charge sales tax for Sonneman products except those shipped to NC, NJ, NY, and PA.
If you find a Sonneman product on another site for less than us, we will match it PLUS 10% of the difference. Learn more